Monday, July 24, 2006

Songbird



Lisa Samson is good. I love her book, Songbird. She creates memorable characters, complete with idiosyncrasies and pet phrases. But my favorite thing about her writing is her mature, wise observations. So true to life. I wonder if I will ever be able to write like that. But no, I know I'll never write like Lisa Samson. But I hope I'll write like a really wise, mature Melanie Dickerson. Some day.

Anyway, I've digressed. Songbird is about a woman, Myrtle Charmaine, who had a pretty awful childhood and is now dealing with that. She is such a wonderfully honest character, a good person, determined not to ever be like her own mother. She's complex, but simple at the same time. Sometimes I think to myself, "I know just how you feel, Myrtle Charmaine."

I'm looking forward to reading more books by Lisa Samson, one of my new favorite authors.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've heard Lisa Samson's name whispered everywhere I go lately, it seems, dark alley ways, underground speak-easies. Seriously, I have heard some great things, and I look forward to picking up this book. Thanks for your reviews!