Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year! God bless us, every one.

Yea! I love it when a new year begins. It's a new start, fresh and clean. Of course, we don't know what the new year will bring, but as an optimist, I always expect something good. And this year I'm hoping for a book contract!!! or maybe two. Dream big, if you're going to dream. Why not? What do you have to lose?

I love my new book! I can't wait to start actually writing. I've been researching for quite a while, it seems, and I'm remembering--vividly--why research is my least favorite part of the process. The book is (very loosely) based on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. I had this thing for that story when I was growing up. Remember that TV show? For a while, I lived for that show. I'm sure my mother thought I was warped. I don't know why I love that love story, but there's something about it. Now I have a whole book outlined in my head based on it, and I love it! Oh, it's gonna be goooooood. As soon as I have a couple of hours together that I can sit at the computer, I'm going to write the first page! So exciting.

Actually, I don't really love writing that first page, or even that first chapter. It's so nerve wracking, because I know how important it is. If the first chapter stinks, no one's going to read the book. I guess I've probably done this to myself, though, because I rarely read past the first few pages of a book. If it's boring, I put it down and never read it, even if I bought the book with my own money. So I'm paying for it every time I start a new book.

But enough about me. Happy New Year! I hope your new year is blessed by the Lord, that you dream big and your dreams come true. Never let fear stop you, or slow you down, or even make you so much as hiccup! For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but (He gave us The Spirit) of Power, Love and Self-Discipline! Amen! Jesus is Lord.

2 comments:

Tracy Ruckman said...

I've started a new book, too. I always come up with the first line, and then go from there. This particular book - I had a first line that my critique partners loved so I thought I had a winner. Then the characters took over and changed the storyline, so I had to change the first line. I'm hoping to use it in my NEXT book (which I'm already outlining!) Blessings to you, my friend!

Chaos-Jamie said...

I wrote the first page of my new book a couple days ago and realized it is so not going to happen.

Time to find a new plot.