Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Life as a Doormat



My Life as a Doormat by Rene Gutteridge

Most books I read are pretty predictable. By page 10 you already know basically what the ending is going to bring about. Well, this is one book that isn’t predictable. I had no idea what was going to happen, and I couldn’t have guessed the ending until almost the end. And if a good book is supposed to stir your emotions and make you feel something, then this was a great book. I thought a LOT about this book after I finished it.

The heroine is playwright Leah Townsend. And I absolutely hated her boyfriend. He wasn’t SO bad, but then, he was! And when he signed her up for a conflict management support group, I could understand her humiliation. But he lived to regret it, and she ended up happy that he did.

This is a book that makes you examine your own choices and attitudes, and I like that in a book. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

I'm a huge Rene Gutteridge fan. Boo happens to be one of my favorite books of all time.
I used to get a notice or newsletter maybe, every time one of her books comes out. I don't think I got one for this.
Thanks for signing my guestbook, Melanie. I think, in all circumstances, you should always include in any author/editor/agent discussion, "Remember the 2005 ACFW Conference, that person who got hauled out of breakfast on a gurney? Well, that was me."
I mean, really, we want to stand out and that was a memorable moment.
I stand alone as the only ACFW mentor ever to have lost a mentee.
Mary

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh, Mary, you're such a kidder. I wasn't lost, merely misplaced until the hotel manager could come and pick me up from the emergency room. :-)
Melanie