Thursday, April 26, 2007

Monday Morning Faith



This new book from Lori Copeland is actually the first thing I've read by her. I really liked it and plan to read more of her books. She made me laugh out loud. And laughing is good.

Johanna is an old maid librarian (kind of a stereotype, but it works) who follows a man to the mission field. The problem is, she feels talked into it and quite certain that God has NOT called her to the mission field, but HAS called her beau, the gorgeous widowed doctor, Sam Littleton. And what a mission field it is. Papua New Guinea, land of cannibals and half-naked natives. Johanna hates the filth, the dangers, and the suffering is just not her style. I couldn't help but relate to her, as a former missionary. Even though I was gung ho to be a missionary, once I got there I often questioned what in the world this comfort-loving Alabamian was doing in snowy Ukraine.

Anyway, the plot takes a few twists and turns, but I really enjoyed the ending. I didn't really see it coming, but it was perfect. A well-written story. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Chaos-Jamie said...

I'll have to check this one out!

Robin Johns Grant said...

Melanie, Thanks for the great info. Now the bad news. I'm "tagging" you to tell us eight things about yourself. See my blog for details.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Cool! I've been tagged. :-)