Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Legend of the Firefish


The Legend of the Firefish by George Bryan Polivka

Are you tired of boring, predictable novels? Do you like high adventure on the high seas? Want a novel with wisdom and amazing insight? Well, have I got a novel for you!

The Legend of the Firefish is the most unique, unpredictable novel I’ve read in a long time, maybe ever. It is fantasy, but it follows the “rules” of roughly the 17th or 18th century. The hero is a young man, Packer Throme, who smuggles his way onto a ship of former pirates. Their captain, the most notorious pirate ever known, is searching the sea for the very dangerous but very profitable giant sea serpents known as firefish.

Packer’s adventures lead him to death and back, but his beloved fiancĂ©, Panna Seline, runs away from home, beginning her own great adventure. The author switches you back and forth between their stories, even going into the point of view of a firefish or two. For the writers who read this book, the constant changing of points of view will be startling. He even slips into omniscient POV a lot. But the story is so gripping and so well-written, it didn’t bother me. In fact, I was fascinated with his style and method. It reminded me of some of the classics that were written 150 or 200 years ago.

To me, the best thing about the book was the ending. The theme the author was weaving throughout the book really came together at the end, and that was something I rarely find in modern novels. There is a love story here, but I would almost classify this book as a “guy story.” Of course, if you’re a guy, that’s fine, but if you’re a woman who can’t stand violence, well, you’ll still love it. I’m not going to put in any caveats here. It’s all good. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Robin Johns Grant said...

Yes, yes, I love adventure on the high seas. Yes, I'm tired of the predictable. Can't wait to read this book! It's definitely going along on my vacation in a few weeks.

April Gardner said...

Melanie,
You hit the nail on the head with this one! Polivka is definitely in my top 3 favorite authors list now. I've got book 2 in the series and can't wait to get started on it. Great review!
April