Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Begotten by Lisa T. Bergren

Wow, what a great book! Here's my review of The Begotten, by Lisa T. Bergren.

The Begotten is a fast-paced thriller set in the fourteenth century against the backdrop of Italy and its various political ins and outs, both among the merchants and the Church clergy, bringing to mind a Christian version of The DaVinci Code.

The main characters, Daria, Gianni, and Father Piero, are brought together by Providence and by an ancient letter, possibly the missing letter of Paul spoken of in the Bible book of First Corinthians. As the three of them are thrown together amidst danger and their own discoveries of what God has in store for them, Daria’s gift of healing comes to the forefront as God, through her, heals one person after another. This naturally draws quite a bit of attention to them, and the adventure is just beginning. Stir in a Sorcerer who is evil incarnate, as well as a counterfeit healer, and you’ve got yourself a thriller. You won’t be able to guess who is friend and who is foe as the showdown at the end draws near.

Without a doubt, this is the boldest Christian novel I have read since The Screwtape Letters. The scope is epic (think Lord of the Rings), and all the numerous characters, whether good guys or bad, are well-developed, with their own goals and desires. This author isn’t afraid to make you ask yourself what you believe and whether it’s in sync with what the Bible says. Miracles abound and faith shines through the darkness of evil. I loved it! This one is not to be missed.


5 comments:

Stormi said...

Hi Melanie,

Leaving a my comment for a extra chance to win, All the Tea in China, wasn't sure where I should comment at. :)

I also wanted to know do you do book reviews for a publishing company(I do reviews for Multnomah and waterbrook press books) or do you just buy books and do your own reviews? I am getting into the book reviewing too and its a lot of fun, but buying them myself can get expensive. Also, how do you know what is coming out before it comes out?

Susan Stitch said...

Great write up on The Begotten. I am on the tour, also, and I found it difficult to put this one down. I'm looking forward to the ACFW discussion on All the Tea in China; please enter me in the drawing for a free copy!

Thanks

Stacey said...

Hi, Melanie.

Please toss my name in the hat a second time for "All the Tea in China." Thanks.

After reading your review, I may have to check out "The Begotten." Thank you.

Robin Johns Grant said...

The Begotten sounds exciting. After having attempted to read the DaVinci Code for my own edification, I'm betting this is a much better book--not just in subject matter, but better written.

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Melanie,

Wow! I'm so glad you like the books. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and for sharing my books with your readers! You are so appreciated!

Lisa
lisa@bergrencreativegroup.com