Tuesday, September 18, 2007

All the Tea in China by Jane Orcutt

I could title this review High Jinx on the High Seas, or Impulsive Misfit Finds Adventure, or maybe Madcap Mayhem in Regency England Immigrates to China. However you title it, it’s a fun read. I simply loved the heroine. She was so spontaneous, so unable to conform to society’s norm. She was me! Ha!

The story is about Isabella Goodrich, an unmarried twenty-year-old in Regency England (think Pride and Prejudice and all the rest of Jane Austen’s books) who desperately wants to be married. Unfortunately, it seems all the eligible men are taken, and Isabella is afraid she is destined to be an old maid. Impulsive person that she is, she meets a missionary to China and decides that God is calling her to go to China and be a missionary, too. She ends up running away from home, which, as the first page states, “involves heartbreak, joy, a Chinese translation of the Gospel According to St. Luke, and, oh yes, a rather large sword.”

If you like romantic comedy-adventure stories, you’ll love this one.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I just picked this book up today - I've heard so many good things about it. Now if I can just find the time to read it...*grin*

Janna said...

This book sounds really good, someone the other day said they couldn't wait for the sequel, I told them the sad news about Jane and to relish every word of this one. :-( Please enter me for Boo Humbug.

Janna
ryanx6@msn.com

Stacey said...

I love this cover! I haven't read the book, yet, but don't know if I want to now that I've learned the sad news about Jane. The loose ends of this story will never be tied up...