Sunday, March 23, 2008

Better Than Gold


This past week, Laurie Alice Eakes talked a good bit about her writing on four other blogs, including Susan Lohrer's blog, but now I have an interview with her with some more personal questions. Here is the answer to a question that was asked on Susan Lohrer's blog. For another chance to win her book, Better Than Gold, follow the links from there.

On the positive side, much tighter stories, less superfluous detail.
On the negative side, as I mentioned with Marylu's questions for me, too much dialogue that says too much or conveys too little.
And I wish publishers would reissue the, to their authors. Some real amazing sentence meanings come out with those missing commas.


Now let's talk about Laurie Alice.

1. What do you do when you're not writing?

My husband is in law school at Georgetown University in DC, so I have picked up the household chores pretty completely, except he vacuums. That means I shop, run other errands, cook, clean... It's all terribly time-consuming, and I'm always making up scenes in my head while doing it, so the time isn't wasted from the writing.

2. Do you have any children?

Only the four-footed variety. Right now, we have one dog, my husband's Guide Dog, Bess, a precious black lab, and two kittens who are rapidly turning into cats. They're siblings, a brother and sister. Half Siamese. The male looks like a Siamese, and the female is a dilute calico. They have been the most incredible blessing. One is on my lap even as I write this. We would like children, but will have to adopt, so that's a post law school project. Priority, actually.

3. Tell us about your family. Did they influence your writing at all?

I'm quite sure they did. Books are a huge part of our family. My eldest sister and her eldest daughter run a private children's library in southwest Virginia. Last count, they had over eight thousand books in their collection.

All my life, my parents read to us. Babysitters read to us. I was teasing my cousin recently, when I discovered that we only read fifteen of the 37 or so Trixie Beldon books. I told her she had better get reading to catch up.

We also took many excursions to the library, so I read myself from a pretty young age. When I ran out of books, I would make up my own stories and wrote them down until my sister found one one day and read it to her covey of boyfriends. I was mortified and destroyed what I wrote nearly as soon as I finished it.

4. What do you do for fun?

Read stuff I don't write like contemporary women's fiction, cozy mysteries, literary novels. I also am getting back into singing recently. When we can, my husband I like to go for long walks, and we like finding new restaurants that aren't chains. Too many of the really great, hole-in-the-wall ones have closed around here because rent is so high. It's frustrating.

5. If you weren't a writer, what would you be?

I'd be a counselor. Sometimes, I still consider going back to school to become a licensed clinical social worker. The world holds a great deal of pain, and I'd like a practical way to alleviate some of it. On the other end of the scale, I've thought about getting into public policy and politics, but that's probably just from drinking the water so close to DC.

6. What is your greatest triumph in the past year?

That's easy: Winning the National Reader's Choice Award for Family Guardian. To final astounded me. To actually win still stuns me. It was a total God thing. No way could I have won without His intervention.

Sorry I was late posting this! I hope the other bloggers will forgive me! Happy Resurrection Sunday, everyone!

1 comment:

Robin Johns Grant said...

Trixie Belden books and part-Siamese kittens! You have great taste, Laurie Alice.