Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wedding Bell Blues and trying to please

It ain't easy trying to please everybody all the time.

We all know this. I know I do. A few times I've read a book I really enjoyed and went to Amazon to post my review and found a few negative reviews there. Someone objected to something in the book so strongly that they ripped it apart, flinging some really harsh mud in the process. I've heard so many times from published authors that once you're published, you WILL get angry letters from disgruntled readers. Someone will find something that pushed their buttons and made them spit-fire mad. You can't avoid it no matter how much you might try to.

So when Linda Windsor asked for bloggers to get the word out about her book, Wedding Bell Blues,

I decided to publish her apology here. I have personally met her, when she did a critique for me at the 2005 ACFW conference, and she was as sweet and kind a person as I've ever met. But some errors that she had tried to edit out of her book somehow got left in. She and the publisher were under a tight time constraint and the editing somehow fell through the cracks. So here is her apology.

From author Linda Windsor. My heartfelt APOLOGIES regarding Wedding Bell Blues. I had two regrettable errors in this publication that, when called to my attention, I didn't at first believe it.
I didn't remember my hero having a Rhett Butler moment when he said "D_mn, I still love you, Alex."
And while I'd written unsaved character Sue Ann exclaiming, "Oh my g_wd!" with the intent of convicting Sue Ann of its blasphemy in her own book #4, I changed her mind after discussing it with my editor and deleted those occurences rather than offend anyone. Well, I missed one. The GOOD NEWS is that these have been removed from future printings and book club issues.
To anyone who read Wedding Bell Blues and was offended, my humble apologies. I'd written this book after my husband died and during those months of brain fog, I almost stopped writing because it was so hard to put coherent thought together. Then I turned it in months late, which put my publisher in a bind as far as getting the usual multiple editings. This was the result. Granted, I must have written these blunders or they would not have been there. For that, I can only ask for your forgiveness and understanding.

A sincere apology from a very classy lady. So if you buy the book and it has the above cover, I believe those errors will have been edited out.

Here is the cover of Linda's newest book, For Pete's Sake.

Go check them out at your library or book store, or click on the link above to go to Amazon.com.

9 comments:

patti said...

I'm really hope that publishing houses don't let a couple of disgruntled folks hold writers hostage. Perhaps an occasional word needs to be used to show character, mood, dire circumstances. Legalism shouldn't rule but rather prayerful prudence. I can't wait to read Linda's book--the old version.
Patti Lacy

Janna said...

I have For Pete's Sake on my TBR pile (sometime this week I bet) and I can't wait to read it - people can get so uptight over such trivial things...

Janna

Melanie Dickerson said...

i love your books!you're the BEST WRITER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOVE YOU MOMMY!

Melanie Dickerson said...

That was my 9-yr-old who wrote that last comment. Isn't she precious?

Julie Lessman said...

Well I can tell you one thing, Linda, it sure won't stop me from reading your books! Can't wait.

Thanks, Melanie, for posting this.

Hugs,
Julie

Donna Moore said...

I am new to this blogging communtiy and to the Christian writing since it has just been a hobby but I have to say that the love shown by these authors is amazing. All who have rallied are an inspiration showing love and mercy.

Jessica said...

Wow, I feel bad for her that people would get so ugly. Over a cuss word, which is, of course, inappropriate for Christians, but still. It's nice that she made an apology, but I still feel bad that she even had to give out excuses for why those words were in there. Stinks for her.

Tracy Ruckman said...

I read For Pete's Sake last week and loved it!

I'm so sorry for the trouble with the Wedding Bell Blues and pray that all the fuss will just generate lots of traffic to send it to the Best-Seller's List! :-)

Melanie Dobson said...

Hi Melanie! Could I send you a copy of my new novel The Black Cloister when it comes out in June? If you would like a copy, where should I send it?

Thank you.

~Melanie Dobson