Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hearts in the Highlands by Ruth Axtell Morren


I recently read this delightful historical romance, set mostly in London, England. The ending is SOOOOO ROMANTIC! I highly recommend it.

Maddie Norton works for the demanding hypochondriac, Lady Haversham, as her paid companion. Maddie's parents were once missionaries in the Middle East, and Maddie longs for that kind of adventurous life again. Instead, she faithfully sends her wages to her missionary brother, believing God has destined her for this life of service, since she's nearing thirty and has never married.

When Reid Gallagher comes to London to visit his aunt, Lady Haversham, Maddie gets a glimpse of his exciting life as an archeologist in Egypt. A widower who plans to never marry again, Reid believes his initial interest in Maddie is strictly platonic. But things get complicated when his aunt falsely accuses Maddie of trying to trap her nephew.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story, which, at the end, is pleasantly reminiscent of Jane Eyre in its plot twists. This author has such a talent for heart-tugging romance.

2 comments:

Robin Johns Grant said...

I like the idea of a 30-year-old heroine who figures she'll never marry or have adventure. Been there as a 30-year-old, so I can identify! Sounds like things turned out pretty well for both of us--and sounds like a fun book.

Ausjenny said...

oh sounds interesting.
oh I like the idea of a 30 year old also.
I so want to read a historical fiction but have a couple of contemporary books i have to read fist but im itching to find one to read.
(I think as much as i like contemorary books historical is my passion)