Thursday, September 25, 2008

In the Shadow of the Sun King by Golden Keyes Parsons


I just have to say something about this new book from new author, Golden Keyes Parsons, even though I haven't had a chance to read it--yet. (When I do, I'll post a review here.) I've heard raves about this book. I just met Golden for the first time in person this past week, and I have to say that I really hope this book does well! And not only because I like her, but also because I love European settings, and I've heard a few Christian publishers say that they don't want any historicals set in Europe. Their reason? They don't sell well. So please help me prove them wrong! Tear yourself away from the American prairie! If you like the look of the cover and the sound of this back cover blurb, then go out and buy it! Buy it because it sounds like a great story.

Seventeenth-century France is a dangerous time and place for a Huguenot. By order of King Louis XIV, all French Protestants must immediately convert or face imprisonment--or death. The king's dragoons ferret out the nonconformists, pillaging villages and destroying homesteads.

When the king's soldiers descend on the Clavell estate, the family's fate hangs in the balance. Quickly, quietly, they send their two sons into hiding, trusting that the young age of their daughter will guarantee her protection. But the dragoons will not be dissuaded; they hold the manor hostage looking for clues of their guilt or innocence. However, Madeleine Clavell, the lady of the manor, holds a secret--one possible chance to save the family. She and the king share a past.

Once a beautiful young lady in the French court whom Louis loved, Madeleine travels to Versailles to plead for mercy from the fickle king, hoping to regain his favor and save her family. It's a gamble, but she is left with no other choice. Madeleine soon faces an agonizing decision--one that changes her family forever.

2 comments:

Janna said...

I got to meet Golden as well and she was so nice - this book actually sold out in the bookstore and she restocked out of the books she brought with her and they almost sold out too!

Janna

Anonymous said...

Golden is my pastor and my pre-marital counselor, so I was sooo excited to read her book!
I work at a shop here in her hometown of Red River where she's currently doing a book signing.
We originally bought 100 copies, and are now sold out!
I personally read it in two days- and I wanted to turn it back and read it again! I'd recommend to to anyone :-D