Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam


Before I hie me to the conference tomorrow morning, I want to share a little about this book, The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam.

You may remember a few weeks ago when I posted a review of Susan May Warren's book, Wiser than Serpents, I mentioned the International Justice Mission, which Susan described as "a team of real-life Jack Bauers rescuing victims caught in the web of slavery." Since I can hardly imagine anything worse than what these women are subjected to as victims of sexual slavery, I agreed to blog about this book.

To be honest, I haven't read the book. I haven't had a chance yet, since I just received it. But I strongly believe that we as Christians should be all about rescuing these girls from their hell on earth. What nobler cause could there be than helping these innocent children--for sometimes they are as young as 5 or 6--escape a life of pain and suffering? What would Christ do for these children, many of whom are orphans? He certainly wouldn't ignore them.

Here's a brief summary of the book.

At twelve years old, Somaly Mam was an orphan who was sold into prostitution and spent years in the brothels of Cambodia where she witnessed and experienced the full-blown horrors of the human sex trade – rape, torture, and nearly unfathomable abuse. After her eventual escape, she could not forget the young girls (some as young as 5) left behind in the brothels, and so she returned to serve them. Her new book, "The Road of Lost Innocence," is her newest means of advocacy. It tells her personal story, ultimately inviting people of conscious, such as our Christian community, to become involved (or to continue involvement) in this war against an epic evil, a modern battle for "the least of these." Truly, not only is this book worth reading, it's worth sharing.

Here's an excerpt from page 166: "We find women chained to sewers. Girls come to us beaten half to death. They are so young. Increasingly we see that the meebons have addicted them to drugs so they won't ever try to escape. When I was young we were terrorized with snakes and heavy fists, but these girls suffer a more brutal sort of torture. They have marks that are worse than anything I have ever endured."

I encourage you, if you are touched by the plight of these girls, to go to the IJM website and find out what you can do to help.

No comments: