Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner



I'm giving away a copy of this book, so leave a comment if you want to be in the drawing.

This isn't the type of book I normally read, but the premise intrigued me. It's a contemporary story about a college student who transcribes the diary of an 18-yr-old girl named Mercy Hayworth. Mercy lived near Salem in the 1600's and was convicted of being a witch during the Salem witch trials and hung. The contemporary heroine, Lauren Dorough, is the only child of mega-rich parents, and she is so caught up in Mercy's story that it begins to affect every aspect of her life.

Like I said, this isn't the type of book I normally read. But I'm always deploring the same old, same old in Christian fiction, so the very "different-ness" of this book drew me in. If you're looking for something different, this might be the book for you. The author, Susan Meissner, is highly acclaimed, which also made me want to read this book. I haven't finished it and am only about halfway through it, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Leave a comment if you'd like to be included in my drawing for this book.

13 comments:

Lucie said...

Wow! My daughter is actually reading a book in her 7th grade class on Mercy and the Salem witch trials! I would really like to read this book with a Christian author writing it and then go over it with my daughter. Please enter me in this drawing for The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner. Thank you!

Blessings,
Lucie

LucieInCA [at] aol [dot] com

Carly said...

wow, salem witch trials huh? not exactly my kind of read. please enter me for the book drawing!

fecarly1 at yahoo dot com

ladijo said...

This book sounds very interesting. I don't normally read this type of book but it is drawing me. Please enter me in the drawing.

Blessings,
Jo
ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

Becky C. said...

This sounds like an incredible book, and I would LOVE to read it!

Please enter me in the contest.

Thank you,

Becky C.
rec(at)hiwaay(dot)net

Kathy Carlton Willis said...

Melanie, I'd love to read this book by Susan. It sounds very intriguing and will open my eyes to a lot! I'm sure Susan went to a great deal of historic research to make this as accurate as possible when it comes to background, and then placing those facts into a fictitious setting. That takes a lot of skill and creativity! If I win, send a notice to: WillisWay (at) aol (dot) com. Thanks!

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Wow! I'd love to read this book! Sign me up for the drawing, please!
dowdywriter [at] aol [dot] com

Donna M said...

This is different from the norm. I would be interested in reading it. Please enter me in the drawing.

Donna
runninmama[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

Stacey said...

This book sounds intriguing. I'd love to read it. Please enter me in the drawing. Thanks.

stacey_dale[at]yahoo[dot]com

bigguysmama said...

I would love a chance to read Susan's book. I love the cover and the setting isn't something I've ever read before. Please enter me to win.

Blessings,
Mimi B

mnjesusfreak at gmail dot com

Lori said...

Susan is an amazing author! I'd love to be entered into your drawing for The Shape of Mercy. :)

Thank you!

aaronandlori (at) gmail (dot) com

Miralee Ferrell said...

I love Susan's work and would enjoy reading this newest one. Thanks for the chance to win one. Miralee Ferrell

Cheryl said...

I would love to win a copy of this book. It sounds really great. Please enter me in the contest. My email address is shryackmom[@]charter[.]net

Jennifer @ Quiverfull Family said...

Please enter me! I hope Canadians can enter :)

jennifer at quiverfullfamily dot com