Saturday, October 04, 2008

WIN In the Shadow of the Sun King by Golden Keyes Parsons


Leave a comment to win this fabulous Christian historical.

The Clavell family finds themselves at the mercy of King Louis XIV’s merciless dragoons, soldiers who terrorize the Protestant Huguenots and try to force them to convert to Catholicism, the state religion. Madeleine Clavell, who knew King Louis when they were both very young, believes she can persuade him to call off the dragoons. Her husband, Francois, and her mother, Elizabeth, both try to dissuade her from traveling to Versailles, but Madeleine is desperate. Surely the king cannot be heartless. Surely he must remember what they once meant to each other and he will show mercy to her and her family. It is a gamble which could cost her everything.

I had no idea that such persecution went on in France in the 1600’s. I found it very intriguing to “experience” through this story what it was like to be persecuted simply for believing a different doctrine. A dramatic story of love, betrayal, and persecution!

This is a powerful, fast-paced story that kept me guessing what might happen until the very end. I thoroughly enjoyed this family’s story. I can hardly wait to read the next book in the series, to find out how things turn out for each of the family members. I highly recommend In the Shadow of the Sun King.

12 comments:

bigguysmama said...

Hi Melanie. I'd love a chance to win Golden's book. Your review certainly makes it sound interesting! Thanks.

~Mimi B

mnjesusfreak at gmail dot com

Shannon said...

I'd love to read this one! Thanks, Melanie!!

Martha A. said...

It sounds like a wonderful book!
martha(at)lclink(dot)com

Janna said...

This book has a gorgeous cover - and we kept selling out of it at the ACFW bookstore. I would love a chance to win!

Janna
ryanx6 at msn dot com

Deborah said...

please enter me! this one is on my wishlist!

ladystorm said...

This era is a interesting one and I would love to see how the book brings it to light. Please enter me into this drawing.

Thanks,
Stormi
ladystorm282001[at]yahoo[dot]com

cathikin said...

This really sounds like my kind of book. I love historical fiction most of all. I am fascinated by so much about that period in France. Please count me in!

Cathi H.
chassan2 at hotmail. com

Patty said...

This sounds very interesting. I would love the opportunity to read it.

pleblanc_1[at]charter[dot]net

Lia said...

Great looking book! I'd love to read it. I absolutely love historical Christian, and this one looks fantastic.

liatheddrfreak (at) gmail (dot) com

Becky C. said...

I love historical fiction, and this one sounds wonderful!

Please enter me in the contest!

Thank you,

Becky C.
rec(at)hiwaay(dot)net

luv2read said...

Enter me in the drawing. I would love to read more about this time period.
spowell01(at)bellsouth(dot)net

Stacey said...

I am a major francophile! Please enter me in the drawing. Thanks.

stacey_dale[at]yahoo[dot]com