Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Making of a Gentleman by Ruth Axtell Morren


I so love this author! In the three books I’ve read, she always delivers such a satisfying romance story! Her endings are perfect. And this book is no exception.

Florence Hathaway is a twenty-eight-year-old spinster in Regency England. She spends her time helping the poor prisoners at Newgate Prison and telling them about the One who can save their souls. On the morning the hangman is set to end one prisoner’s life, Florence is suddenly taken hostage during a daring escape. Her own life is at the mercy of a convict with everything to lose if he is caught.

Jonah Quinn has little to live for and no one to turn to for help. If caught by the authorities, he will hang. So when the spinster offers to teach him to become a respectable gentleman, with fine clothes and proper manners, he has no other choice. But can a country bloke like him ever pass for a true gentleman?

These are not your ordinary hero and heroine. At first I wondered how the author would ever pull it off! The hero wasn’t terribly heroic, and the heroine was not exactly alluring. But I found myself completely invested in these characters. I could hardly tear myself away from reading about them and wondering how things were going to turn out. I thoroughly enjoyed it as Morren once again pulled off an astounding transformation, and realistically, too. I highly recommend this book!

4 comments:

Robin Johns Grant said...

You do come up with some intriguing books, Melanie! If only I had more time to read. Or any. :) I've gotten hooked on audio books lately because I can "read" while cleaning house or cooking. I wish more Christian books were on audio--especially affordable audio.

Sandee61 said...

I enjoyed your reviews, and happy to find a new author to read.

Sandy G.

Martha A. said...

That sounds like one I would really enjoy and my sister! Thanks for the review! I will be looking for this one!

Jessica said...

What I love is the cover! I just love it.
But I also like Morren's books. A few years ago I picked one up and was pleasantly surprised by the darker type of hero. They didn't use to appear often in inspirationals but I love them, so her book automatically scored with me! :-)