Sunday, December 28, 2008

Wild Rose by Ruth Axtell Morren



If you’ve read my blog for very long, you know I’ve raved about this author before. Now I’m going back and reading the ones that came out before I discovered her. Here’s one from 2004, Wild Rose.

Geneva Patterson has lived in the tiny harbor town of Haven’s End all her life. And all her life she’s been an outcast. Not only was her father a poor woodsman, her mother was part Indian. When Geneva’s mother dies, and then her father, Geneva is left alone to fend for herself. She takes to wearing men’s clothes to keep the bad characters of the town away from her, but her best defense is her dog, Jake. She lives an isolated existence, until Captain Caleb Phelps moves in next door.

Caleb was sent out as a boy to learn life on the sea. His rich shipping magnate father has always been impossible to please, but when suspicion is cast on Caleb, his father believes the worst—that Caleb stole a large sum of money from his father’s company. To make matters worse, Caleb’s own fiancé turns against him, calling off the engagement, and Caleb is ostracized. He escapes to the tiny town of Haven’s End.

At first Caleb only sees Geneva as a farmer, hardly noticing she’s a young woman. And Geneva thinks of Captain Caleb as the ideal man, a true gentleman, but someone who would never look twice at her. They form a friendship, but what will happen if Captain Caleb’s name is cleared? Will he go back to Boston and the fancy parties and high society befitting the son of a wealthy businessman? What will become of Ginny?

As usual, I couldn’t figure out how the author was going to get these two to fall in love and get married, but as always, she did it, and beautifully. This is another wonderful love story by Ruth Axtell Morren, exemplifying the meaning of “satisfying.” Frankly, she should have won a Christy Award for this one. Hurry. Don’t wait. Get it!

2 comments:

Carole said...

Melanie, I recently discovered Ruth Axtell Morren when I read her first book, Winter Is Past, and I agree with you that she is a wonderful writer. I was looking for Christian Regencies because I always loved Georgette Heyer's books, and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks for recommending her.

Martha A. said...

It has been awhile since I read this one, but i just bought some other books by her! I am looking forward to reading them!