Tuesday, May 05, 2009

A Bride of Honor by Ruth Axtell Morren


Okay, I know I write more than my share of reviews on Ruth Axtell Morren books, but I just can’t get enough of them. This is her latest and it’s more than good, and sooooo romantic. I’m not sure I can do it justice, but here’s my review.

Damian Hathaway is a dignified, kind, quiet, none-too-rich pastor of a church in Regency England and Lindsay Phillips is the beautiful only child of an extremely wealthy man. Lindsay is just having her first “season,” coming of age as a highly desirable heiress among the ton. Damian lives a quiet existence doing good works among the poor, the orphans, and the prisoners. But if this isn’t enough to ensure that they will never mingle socially, Damian, through an accident suffered as a boy, only has one leg and the other is a wooden peg leg.

But these two get together anyway, thanks to our intrepid author! They’re both good-hearted, kind, and interested in letting God have his way in their lives, so why shouldn’t they enjoy each other’s company? Well, maybe because her father will have a conniption fit when he learns why his daughter cannot marry the odious, extremely immoral and distasteful young member of the ton that he has picked out for her. Who would have ever thought the chaste Damian Hathaway would ... no, you'll just have to read it for yourself!

This story is really sweet and not to be missed—that is, if you like romance at all! I was glued to the pages and even had to stay up late to see what was going to happen next. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Robin Johns Grant said...

I have to say I've never heard of a romance novel hero with a wooden leg before--or almost any disfigurement. Good for Ruth Axtell Morren!