Friday, July 31, 2009

The Everything Austen Challenge--We're one-sixth of the way into it!



Okay, Austen Buddies, time to fess up. How are you doing with your goals in the Everything Austen Challenge? I'm still reading Emma, which is one of Jane Austen's longest novels, but I hope to finish very soon. I also watched one of the Emma movies, the Kate Beckinsale version from 1996.
It was fun, but I thought Emma wasn't as lively as Jane intended her, and Mr. Knightly a good deal too angry and loud. But it was still enjoyable. Now I want to watch the other 1996 version of Emma, the one with Gwynneth Paltrow.
I remember liking her portrayal of Emma much better. In fact, as I'm reading the book, I have Gwynneth Paltrow in my mind. She makes a very proper Emma. And by the time I finish this Jane Austen marathon, I have a feeling I'll be on my way toward writing a Regency. I've already been getting some ideas, quite involuntarily.

So let's hear it. What have you done to further your Jane Austen tendencies?

10 comments:

Tina M. Russo said...

I am mixed. I like Kate Beckinsale better than Gwennie. and Jeremy Northrupt better than Kate's Mr. Knightly.

Finally the 2007 Persuasion is here from the library. Going to rewatch it this weekend.

sherrinda said...

I saw Sense and Sensibility on the end cap at Target for $5, so I bought it and watched it. (The one with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant) Such a lovely film.

Melanie Dickerson said...

I have that S&S too, Sherrinda.

Tina, I'm anxious to watch the Gwyn. Paltrow one again because I don't remember Mr. Knightley from that one. And I'm wanting to watch the newest Persuasion again. I'll have to watch all the JA movies this next 5 months!

Debra E Marvin said...

Ahh, it's nice to be among friends. Not everyone can understand how I can watch these movies over and over.

I like Kate and Mark Strong better. I don't know why.

Tina, is the 2007 Persuasion the one with Rupert Penry Jones? sigh. I know a lot of people didn't like this one because they were both so 'unemotional' but I thought it was more of seeing a lot of emotion under their acts. I thought there was a lot of sexual tension and that they were very torn up 'inside'.

I had to look up my list of 6 things again to remember two of them.
Can't wait to see Mel's post this week.

Debra said...

I love Gwyneth in Emma. After watching the movie, I bought it. I'm also a huge fan of Keira Knightly in Pride and Prejudice.

Linore said...

I recently watched "Lost in Austen." Loved it.
I love both versions of Emma, btw, as well as the book. But I find I watch the Kate Beckinsale version more than Paltrow's, even though both are good.
Tonight, and this has little to do with the topic, I'm finishing up "Our Mutual Friend." Then, I'll decide which Austen book is next.
: )

Robin Johns Grant said...

Do we have to choose which six things we're going to do up front, or just do six Austen-related things as the mood strikes?

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hey, Austen Buddies! You're all doing great! :-)

Robin, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to say which 6 things you plan to do for the challenge. You can just decide as you go, if you want! I'm not a stringent rule-follower myself. :-)

Pepper Basham said...

I love both versions of Emma, but enjoy Jeremy Northam...um, I mean, the Gwyneth Paltrow version best :-)
I just finished a small blurb about Lost in Austen on my Austen blog. Linore, that series was hilarious, wasn't it? How it turned P & P up on its' head. Which one will they twist up next? Sense and Sensiblity and have Marianne marry Sir John? ;-)

Linore said...

Yes, Pepper, I thought it was really funny. And I'm not generally a fan of "fan fic," or continuations. This was different, though. So ingeniously surprising. The heroine bothered me a little at times, but I thought the 19th century characters were spot-on.