Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jane Austen Challenge



You may or may not know that I am Jane Austen's #1 fan and have been since I was about 15 or 16 years old. That's when I picked up a copy of Emma at my school library and started reading. Next I read Pride and Prejudice, and my literary life would never be the same!


I just heard about this other blogger who has started something called the Everything Austen Challenge on her blog. The contest runs from July 1 until Jan. 1, 2010. You must choose 6 things Jane Austen-related to do. You can watch Jane Austen movies. (I've seen most of them--I'll work on seeing them all!) You can read one of the MANY fan-fiction books that are out there these days--books about Jane Austen's characters, taking them places Jane Austen herself never dreamed of. I believe there's even a book about Mr. Darcy as a vampire. Oy vey! I tried to read one of these Jane Austen-inspired novels, one that had gotten good reviews, from Darcy's point of view. I didn't get very far. I just couldn't stand reading things coming out of Darcy's mouth that I'm quite sure Jane never intended! Don't mess with Jane's characters, that was my reaction. So I think that option is out for me. Instead, I think I'd like to read all her novels again, one by one.


So there you have it. That's my plan. I'm going to read Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park. Can I do it? Can I read six Jane Austen novels in six months, even though they're written in language a bit dated from our respects, with a literary style that also a bit archaic by today's standards? Will I change my mind about Jane Austen's books, since it's been a lot of years since I've read most of them? Or will I fall in love with her characters all over again? Well, stay tuned to find out!

And here's my friend, Tina Russo's blog on the Everything Austen Challenge. Dive in and enjoy the challenge!

14 comments:

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh, and if you also plan to join the challenge, please leave me a comment and let me know. We can be accountability partners! No, that doesn't sound fun enough. We'll be Austen Buddies!

Stephanie said...

So glad you joined my challenge!! Good luck!

Tina M. Russo said...

Go, Melly!!! My new Austen Buddy.

April Erwin said...

Awesome! I'm totally in. In fact I just re-watched Clueless last night. :) I've got a lot to choose from, so I'll post a list on my blog soon.

rebornbutterfly said...

So cool! I'm a HUGE JA reader, thus my blog name :)
I'll join you, i haven't decided which option to do though! :)

sherrinda said...

How fun! I just got the new BBC version of Persuasion in the mail (BB online) last week and watched it. And this morning while I was at Target, I picked up Sense and Sensibility DVD for $5! LOL...maybe I am suposed to do the challenge too! :)

Trish Perry said...

Okay, I HAVE to join you, Melanie (et al.)! I'm a huge Austen fan. I just happened to see Becoming Jane for the tenth time or so last night. I'll make my choices and post in the next day or so.

And that Lost in Austen series looks like a hoot. Thanks for posting about this, Austen Buddy!

ForstRose said...

I'm not usually impressed by remakes or movies of books etc so tend to shy away from those that rewrite the Austen novels or try to make up their own Austenesque stories since they never seem to do justice to the originals. Anyway I am recording Jane Austen Bookclub before I saw this though I wasn't impressed with becoming Jane. Not sure if I can squeeze in 6 things but might try to find a good bio or two and reread some of Austen's work if I don't get lost in my already mountainous TBR first.

Debra Ullrick said...

I have every version of every movie ever made of Jane Austen's. I have watched them all about fifty times or more. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan. And yet, I've never read any of the books. How bizare is that?

Someone wrote a sequel to P&P titled, Pemberly. I have it too, but I've not read it yet.

I didn't join the challenge, but I had to respond to this post because, I hate to inform you, Melanie, or burst your bubble, but I'M Jane Austen's number one fan. *smiling* Okay, okay, can we share the spot?

Debra Ullrick, author of The Bride Wore Coveralls.

vvb32 reads said...

Yahoo, good for you on taking on the challenge. Austen fans unite. Look forward to your reviews.

One More Writer said...

I love Jane! I can do this! Shoot, if I get really ambitious I'll read the books AND watch the movies, because who can choose when there are such wonderful movie adaptations of such wonderful books!

Gina Welborn said...

I'll join the party!

I have the P&P movie and mini-series and book. Bought EMMA a few months ago to read again. Haven't done it yet.

Of course, I'm probably gonna read the vampire one. For a kick. My oldest son loves the book cover.

Robin Johns Grant said...

Ooh, this sounds like fun! I've been wanting to read Northanger Abby for the first time and Persuasion again. Maybe this is the prompting I need. There are also a couple of the BBC adaptations I've been wanting to see.

britney said...

After going through this aurtical i have decided to bookmark this site found this really interesting & thanks a lot for keeping the blog Lively with such interesting blogs.


___________________
Britney
Online Marketing of your brand