Sunday, July 26, 2009

Welcome Home: Our Family's Journey to Extreme Joy by Kimberley Woodhouse


If you are an avid viewer of the TV show Extreme Makeover Home Edition, as my children are--they can't stand to miss this show!--then you probably saw the episode about the Woodhouse family. The mom is a writer, so she chronicles her family's story leading up to the moment when Ty Pennington stood in their yard and yelled through his megaphone, "Good morning, Woodhouse family!"

I rarely read an entire nonfiction book all the way through, but I read this one in one day! I couldn’t put it down. And it made me cry, which also never happens. I cried several times while reading this book. It really touched me and convicted me of so many sinful attitudes I have, like failing to “count it all joy” when I face trials. Oh boy, do I ever fail at this! This is such an incredible story, and I truly believe I grew as a person while reading this book. How could I ever take my children’s health for granted again? Or my home? Or anything else?

The Woodhouse family has dealt with some serious medical issues, not only with their daughter, Kayla, who has a very rare disorder that causes her to overheat if the temperature is above 64 degrees, but also with their son, who almost died several times due to an undiagnosed problem with his trachea. But the best part of this story is reading the very real and honest account of Kimberley’s spiritual journey and the way she overcame so many difficulties and learned to hold on to God’s joy no matter what was going on. She just kept repeating that verse, James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

I highly recommend this story to anyone who feels they need an extra dose of trust and faith, and who worries how they’ll handle serious trials if and when they come. Or for someone who is facing trials and is struggling. If you feel you need more joy, then this is the book for you.

2 comments:

Robin Johns Grant said...

I loved that Extreme Makeover Home Edition about their family. Amazing! I felt a tiny little part of it all because I had sent in one of the nominations. It was so exciting when they were waiting to see if they were the family chosen for the show--and then the ACFW loop got an email saying the bus had just shown up!

Pepper Basham said...

Melanie,
ConGRATS on your novels. Wow, what a wonderful list of accomplishments. Publishers, wake up! Now my curiosity is peaked. Do you ever let others read your work? Maybe we should start our own unpubbed island ;-)