Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge--Northanger Abbey

Hello, all you Jane Austen fans! We're almost one-third of the way through our Everything Austen Challenge. How are you all doing? Also, it's not too late to join us, if you're an Austen fan. All you have to do is watch 6 movies, or read 6 books, or a combination of 6 movies and books, having to do with Jane Austen and you win! What is the prize, you may ask? At the moment, I'm not sure! But I need to come up with a prize, don't I? Okay, if you'll post your goal, and if I get more than 6 participants, I promise to have some sort of prize for those who meet the challenge.

Anyway, I want to tell you about reading Northanger Abbey. It sort of stands alone among JA's books because it is so different, a little tongue-in-cheek and spoofy, if you will, as JA tries to shed light on the cliched gothic romances of her day. I prefer JA's other books, but I enjoyed Northanger Abbey very much. It was fun and funny and had a nice moral message, and it made me remember what it was like to be 17 and naive.

Catherine Morland sets out with some neighbors of hers, a childless couple. They are kind but shallow and unsuspicious of the dangers that lurk for our fair heroine, Catherine. Luckily, Catherine meets with a fine young man who is very sensible, with a wry sense of humor and good looks and a healthy income, which is always essential. Catherine meets with ill-use by her new best friend's brother, as well as the hero's self-seeking father, but all turns out right at the end. A very enjoyable read.

Now I am looking forward to watching a couple of JA movies, and I'm starting Mansfield Park in my quest to read all 6 Jane Austen books. It's been a very long time since I've read Mansfield Park. I saw the movie a year or so ago, and it intrigued me, since I couldn't remember the story being like the movie! It should be interesting to see how much I've forgotten, and how much the movie invented.

Share your progress! Leave comments if you want to win a prize on Jan. 1st!

3 comments:

Robin Johns Grant said...

Okay, I need to take the plunge. What I'd like to do is watch 4 movies and read 2 books. I'm sort of scared to declare myself, though, because I'm already guilt-tripping myself about all the other stuff I'm behind on. But I do want to try!

Debra E Marvin said...

Hi Melanie,
I've just been thinking of this challenge and trying to recall all that wrote down. Just went back to the original blog list to find out. I'm about 1/3 of the way through my list. Two of the require a purchase. Should have thought of that before as all my 'spending money' will be going to my Denver trip!
I watched Mansfield Park this week, the one with the blonde Fanny. Do you prefer one to the other?

I loved Northanger Abbey, probably for the same reason you said. It was fun to be in the head of a silly teenager again.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Debra, I really liked the one with the dark haired Fanny. I'm not sure I've seen the one with the blonde. How old is that one? The only one is fairly recent.