Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kimberley Woodhouse--Welcome Home!



Kimberley Woodhouse, the author of Welcome Home: Our Family's Journey to Extreme Joy, has graciously agreed to an interview. If you haven't already, please read my review of this wonderful book about her family's experiences before and during and after the time the ABC show, Extreme Makeover Home Edition was considering building her family a new home.

Kimberley, thanks so much for allowing me to interview you on my blog. If you don’t mind, will you share a little bit with my readers about how Kayla and Josh are doing, healthwise, since you ended your family’s story in the book, and since the TV show about you was filmed?

Josh and Kayla are doing incredibly well. Since we’ve been in the house, Josh hasn’t had one asthma attack, and Kayla’s health has skyrocketed. One year ago, the doctors felt Kayla was strong enough after her brain surgery to swim competitively. So, we are now proud members of Cheyenne Mountain Aquatics swim team, and they swim 4-6 hours every day between swim team and the YMCA. They LOVE it, and they are having so much fun. (And – they’re REALLY good at it.) 

Your book was so full of details about the various “big events” in your family’s life. Did you keep a journal all those years when your children were little?

Yes, I tried to keep a journal of events—how I felt, how we coped, how we made it through. They are precious memories and notes to me now.

Are you often recognized when you run your errands as “the woman from Extreme Makeover”? Do people treat you differently?

Again, yes. Especially when we leave the state of Colorado (people are used to us now here in CO) – but we get recognized everywhere we go. And people definitely treat us differently. That’s been a big adjustment for me, because I think, “I’m still just… me.” 


Do you schedule time every day to write, or how do you fit it in?


I do try. Try being the operative word. But most of it gets done on my laptop at one of the pools. I also homeschool my precious kiddos, so that is a big chunk of my day.

Now that you have a non-fiction book on bookstore shelves, how is your fiction career coming along? What is your current writing project?

Well, I have two. I’m currently working on another non-fiction – a parenting encouragement. And I’m also working on another fiction – romantic suspense set in Alaska.

If you could give one piece of parenting advice to young mothers, what would it be?

Remember that you don’t have to measure up to what everyone else is doing or saying. You are unique as a parent – and your children are unique, too. God gave them to you – He will give you what you need to parent them. So, don’t quit. Keep going. Grab onto His joy, each and every day.


If you could give one piece of writing advice to beginning writers, what would it be?


Write. Write. And write some more. Keep your focus on Him.

Thanks, Kimberley.

Kimberley Woodhouse is a wife, mother, author, and musician with a quick wit and positive outlook despite difficult circumstances. A popular speaker, she’s shared at more than 600 venues across the country. Kimberley and her family's story have garnered national media attention for many years, but most recently her family was chosen for ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, The Montel Williams Show, and Discovery Health channel’s Mystery ER. Welcome Home: Our Family’s Journey to Extreme Joy, releases from Tyndale House Publishers September first. In addition to her non-fiction, she also writes romantic suspense and children’s books. Kimberley lives, writes, and homeschools in Colorado with her husband and two children in their truly “extreme” home. www.kimberleywoodhouse.com

To order the book, go to Christianbook.com.

9 comments:

Martha A. said...

How amazing that you are able to write and do all that you do! Thank you for sharing with us! I enjoyed watching the EM when it was on!

JStantonChandler said...

Thank you, Kimberly, for sharing your story with us!

Jen

Melanie Dickerson said...

Wow, I have no idea why there's a little white hand on Josh's head in that picture of the book cover! How did that get there?

DebbieLynne said...

Beautiful story that shows what an awesome God we serve. Thank you for sharing.

Missy Tippens said...

Great interview! I've heard so many good things about this book!

Kimberley Woodhouse said...

I was so excited to be here! Thanks so much, Melanie. And thank you all for your great comments.
God is so good.
Kim

Robin Johns Grant said...

I'm so glad their family was chosen for the Extreme Makeover and that the house has made such a difference! Kimberly's attitude and perseverance make me feel humbled.

Robin Johns Grant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathleen L. said...

Melanie, this was a wonderful interview. Kimberly's following words nearly made me cry:
"You are unique as a parent – and your children are unique, too. God gave them to you – He will give you what you need to parent them. So, don’t quit."
Words of life for the mother of an autistic child.
thanks! And may God bless this book.