Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

I just finished this book last night. Ever read a book that just makes you feel good all over, makes you feel like you're glowing after you read that last page and close the book, like you can't wait to write your own story in hopes it will be this great? Yeah, me neither, not very many times in my life, but I did feel all those things last night when I finished this book.



Anna Grazinsky is a Russian countess, a teenager who has lost everything during the Russian Revolution and must flee with what's left of her family to England. She is such a vivid character, very strong, so NOT snobby, and she insists that being a maid is not beneath her. Besides, it's only temporary. She comes to love the people who live in the huge estate where she goes to serve, and falls in love with the handsome, unassuming Earl of Westerholme who is about to be doomed in marriage to the cold-hearted Murial. Oh, what's a penniless countess to do?

This novel is full of vivid characters, so lifelike I found myself praying for them! LOL I absolutely adored the story, too, maybe, partially because I love all things Russian so much. But it's very sweet and romantic and I highly recommend it. And no, I did not receive any compensation for writing this review, and have never received a single penny from Amazon for linking to them. In fact, if the FTC would really like to know (and I can't imagine why they would, but who wants to pay a fine of thousands of dollars? Not me) I got this book from my local library. So there.

9 comments:

Renee (Black 'n Gold Girl's Book Spot) said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I'm glad to hear that you really liked it too! Have you ever read The Morning Gift by Eva? It's just as good as this one! I have A Song for Summer that I have to read but I'm sure it's really good too! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo~ Renee

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hi, Renee! The only other book I've read by Eva Ibbotson was The Reluctant Heiress, which I read a few weeks ago. I really liked it, loved her writing style, but A Countess Below Stairs just blew me away! Love it. Now I have to read the rest of this author's books.

Robin Johns Grant said...

Is this a YA book? I'm interested in reading good YA books of late, and this definitely sounds like a good one. It's funny, though. The last book I read that left me feeling tingly all over and praying that I could write that well was The Little Stranger, but there is definitely not a happy ending there. It's more of the haunting variety.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hi, Robin! Yes, this is a YA. I think you'll really like it. It's very quirky and well-written.

Susan Mires said...

I love that you prayed for the characters! Sounds like a great book, I'm going to look for it, perhaps at my local library, like you.

Linore said...

Sounds like one I have to read. I bought my daughter a three book volume of Ibbottson's work and she loved every thing in it. This one wasn't in that book, but now I know to get it--thanks, Melanie! *By the way, I always try to give my books a "feel good all over" ending, as I love then, too. : )

Debra E Marvin said...

Well, you've certainly convinced me, Melanie!
I'll look for it. thanks for the review!

I hope you're doing well!
Debra

April said...

This book sounds great. I have never read any of her books.I will put this one on my to buy list.
Thanks.
tarenn98[at]yahoo[dot]com

Renee (SteelerGirl83) said...

I have an award for you!!

Go here to pick it up:
http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-award-kreativ-blogger-award.html

xoxo~ Renee