Monday, October 12, 2009

Jane Austen Challenge - Falling Behind! Uh-oh

So, how are you doing on your Jane Austen Challenge? Hmmm? I have to admit, I've fallen behind. I should have finished Mansfield Park last month, but I'm still only halfway through it! Yikes. So I need to finish it and read one more Jane Austen by the end of this month to stay on track. But I can still finish. I have 2 1/2 months to read Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and finish Mansfield Park. Can I do it?

Yes! I think I can.

I've already watched several Jane Austen movies as well. But my goal was to read all six JA books by Jan 1st. It's still doable.

And BTW, I'm enjoying Mansfield Park. Fanny isn't as admirable a heroine as Jane Austen's other leading ladies, but I'm sympathetic to her at least. And somehow I just can't get into the thought of Fanny being in love (and ultimately marrying) her first cousin, in whose house she has grown up since she was very young. There's just something icky about that. I guess it was no big deal in the early 1800's, but still ... I'm having trouble with that.

Any opinions?

2 comments:

Renee said...

I'm behind too! I was supposed to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies last month but I didn't but I too will get through this challenge! Good luck!!!

xoxo~ Renee

Robin Johns Grant said...

I've just never really gotten started. I guess the timing has been wrong for me, because about a year and a half ago, I was watching and reading tons of Jane Austen. Ah well. At least I have done it in the past.