Sunday, November 08, 2009

Jane Austen Rocks!

I read Persuasion. Yay! Only two more books to go before I accomplish my goal for the Everything Austen Challenge!

Persuasion is one of my favorite Jane Austen books. It's actually a pretty quick and easy read, and it's such a sweet story. I believe Captain Wentworth is one of my favorite heroes because he's so real. He's hurt by Anne Elliot's early rejection of him, so he takes it out on her by ignoring her and flirting with her cousins. But he can't be mean to her, and he ends up getting caught in his own trap.

If you haven't read Persuasion, it's one of JA's shortest and best books. I decided to re-watch the movie version with Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth last night after I finished the book. It was great. When I read the book, I was thinking of Ciaran Hinds as the hero, because he seems to fit him so well. I think he's the only one of JA's heroes who really likes to talk, and he expresses himself well. I guess that's another reason why I like him so much.

Now I only have to read Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility before Jan. 1st. They have always been my favorites, so I know I can do it. How is everybody else doing?

7 comments:

Bettina said...

I agree Persuasion is also one of my favourite books. But I also love Pride and Prejudice.

Of Persuasion I only saw the film with CiarĂ¡n Hinds. He is great in it.

Pride and Prejudice: I saw both with Colin Firth and Matthew Macfadyen as Mr Darcy and I have to say, Colin Firth is the best Mr Darcy and also this version.

Robin Johns Grant said...

I haven't read Persuasion since college (you don't want to know how long ago that was), and believe it or not haven't seen a film version of it at all. So it's definitely time!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Bettina,
I love the Colin Firth version of Pride & Prejudice the best, too. P & P is my favorite Jane Austen book, with Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure how long it's been since I read Sense & Sensibility. It may have been in high school, because I don't remember it very well. I've just started on it.

Rita Gerlach said...

Jane Austen's Persuasion is a wonderful love story. As far as the film versions, I liked the first one best with Amanda Root as Anne, but in the second one, more recently produced for Masterpiece Theater, I liked Rupert Penry-Jones as Wentworth best. I did not like Sally Hawkins as Anne.

Jen Chandler said...

Good for you! Austen is one of my writer's to read before I die :) I just bought Pride and Prejudice and fully intend on reading it next year!

Happy weekend,
Jen

April said...

I enjoy that era but have not read any of her books. I read some that pertain to her. Thanks
tarenn98[at]yahoo[dot]com

vvb32 reads said...

Persuasion is one I haven't read but was introduced to it with the movie version. It's on my EA tbr pile.

As a fellow Everything Austen participant, I wanted to invite you to the
Pemberley Ball, Nov 20-22, 2009