Friday, May 07, 2010

Heart of Dixie Readers' Luncheon - Next Saturday

I don't know why I didn't think to mention this before, but my local RWA (Romance Writers of America) chapter is hosting its annual Readers' Luncheon in Huntsville, Alabama at the South Hall of the Van Braun Center next Saturday, May 15th, at 11:00. Last year was my first time to attend, and this year I'll be hosting a table as "published author." Even though my book doesn't come out until September, I'll be promoting my book by giving out bookmarks with my book cover on them and giving away a cool medieval basket, perfect for a real "healer's apprentice" from the fourteenth century. Anyone who puts their ticket in for my basket could win it.

What is a Readers' Luncheon, you might ask? Well, it's a luncheon where you can sit at a published author's table and gab with them while you eat, then listen to a keynote speaker--this year it's best-selling romance author, Julia London--and win lots of prizes. At my table I will be giving everyone who sits with me some yummy chocolate truffles. (Trying to bribe people to sit with me! I have this fear that no one will want to sit at my table! It's not like anyone has ever heard of me!)

Enough about my insecurities! If you're interested, and if it's not too late to register, check it out on the HOD website.

6 comments:

April W Gardner said...

If I lived just a wee bit closer, I'd SO be there. And with the lure of truffles, I might even sit at your table. Hehe!!
Can't wait to share lunch with you in September!
I hope you have a blast at the luncheon. Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Debra said...

Hey Melanie!
I wished I could be there, but we're giving my mother a birthday party on the same day to celebrate her 73th birthday.
If I was able to go I would certainly sit at your table, I'd love to see you again.
Hopefully we can have lunch together in September!!

April W Gardner said...

I haven't been by to visit for a while! Soooo?? How did the luncheon go?

Melanie Dickerson said...

It's tomorrow, April! Say a prayer for me! That I won't completely humiliate myself in some way! LOL!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Debra, I wish you could be there too! It would be so great to see your friendly face there! Are you sure you can't ditch your mom's birthday party? No? Okay, I understand. :-)

JenS said...

How exciting! It sounds like a blast. I've never been to a Reader's Luncheon. I'll have to look out for them in my area.