Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another Review! Or, Are you sick of me yet?

I have turned into a very obnoxious blogger, only talking about myself! Do you hate me yet? But I just have to tell you about the awesome review Nora St. Laurent gave The Healer's Apprentice on her great blog, Finding Hope Through Fiction.

Here is a small part of it. Okay, here's a BIG section of it:

The author also had the right mix of romance, adventure, battles and a mix of scenery, which all added to the mystery and fun of the story. I liked the depth and complexity of these characters as their spiritual fight was revealed. It was refreshing to see characters struggling as they attempted to live out what they read in the bible. Rose and Wilhelm had a personal relationship with God. Both struggled with their emotions and how not to be taken over by them. Melanie had several supporting characters I grew fond of and was drawn into their dilemmas, as well. This story was suspenseful in parts; I found myself holding my breathe until the situation was resolved. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I anticipated the story going in one direction, then something would happen and I doubted where I thought this would end up. The author kept me guessing all the way through.

I was totally taken into this fairy-tale and read it in one day; my family gave me grace so I could keep reading. I had to find out how this ended. This is Melanie Dickerson’s debut novel, wow!! I can’t wait to see what she writes next. I definitely can’t wait to read it.

An author's "dream review."

11 comments:

Debra's Reading Corner! said...

Hey Melanie!
After reading Nora St. Laurent's review, now I'm looking forward to reading The Healer's Apprentice even MORE!
Come on September 4th...come on Septemebr 4th ***grin***
See you at the book signing!

~Debra

Kav said...

This is so exciting! It's pumping me even more. I can't wait until I read it. Did you get your copy yet? And, did you notice that they are featuring 'The Healer's Apprentice' as a book club read? At last I have found an online book club!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooohooo!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thanks, Debra!!!!! Can't wait to see you at the signing!!!

KAV!!! You pump ME up, girl! Thanks for being excited about the book! :-)

I wish I'd known you were looking for an online book club! I have been a member of the ACFW book club for a long time, and I was the coordinator for a couple of years! Lot's of fun. The live chats are especially fun. I CANNOT WAIT for October. It's going to be so fun to have people discussing my book! (You are talking about the ACFW book club, aren't you?)

Kav said...

Yes the ACFW one...but i thought it was November. I'll double check. Do you have to be a member to be involved in the book club? I am not (gasp) a member yet.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh no, you don't have to be a member. Anyone can be a part of the book club. There are tons of published authors on the loop, though.

Robin Johns Grant said...

Oh, Melanie, enjoy it! You worked hard enough for this! That must be the most fun part, connecting other people with these characters you've created. I think the book club will just be so exciting for you! What a dream come true. I haven't participated in the book club before. I signed up just for your book!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hey, Robin!!! Thank you, my friend! And I am a BAD friend! I just remembered I haven't answered your email yet. Going to do that now.

Rebecca Herman said...

How exciting! I can't wait to get my copy. Zondervan has an excerpt on the website now of the first chapter and now I can't wait to read the rest!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Where, Rebecca?!?! I went to the website and couldn't find it!

Rebecca Herman said...

The excerpt is at http://www.zondervan.com/media/samples/pdf/0310721431_samptxt.pdf

Rebecca Herman said...

hmm I don't think the link copied properly. If you look up your book on Zondervan's website just look under the cover picture and click "read sample."