Monday, October 04, 2010

"Clean" Young Adult Fiction--Two Reviews

In my header it says I review Christian fiction. But since it's so hard for teens today to find good "clean" fiction, and since there is nothing out there in the Christian realm quite like my historical romance, fairy tale retelling, The Healer's Apprentice, I decided to review some books from the general market that are similar to my book and are "safe" for teens.

Today I have reviews of two such books. I hope these are helpful.



Beauty by Robin McKinley

I just re-read this book for the second time. It is a classic fairy tale retelling. Based on the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale, it is a gentle romance told enchantingly by the author, Robin McKinley. She wraps you up in details, but the details are always pertinent to the story, so you never get bored. It is a fantasy but very well-told, and I would recommend it to girls who are starting to read romance, as well as to anyone else who loves romance. It’s very sweet and definitely one of my favorite fairy tale retellings.



Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

A retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale, this is an intriguing tale with interesting characters and a wonderful hero who rescues not one but twelve fair princesses. I enjoyed this story and am happy to say it is very “clean” and is safe for young teens to read. There are even a few Christian elements in this fantasy that make it even better, like the fact that the late queen’s silver cross, which she dropped in the evil king’s kingdom, has caused a silver forest to sprout up which wards off evil and provides some protection from the evil king’s sons. I wouldn’t recommend the book to anyone younger than twelve, as there are a few scenes with the evil villain and his sons that are pretty intense, but I feel good about recommending it to the voracious reader looking for something that’s not too “dark.”

9 comments:

Renee (SteelerGirl83) said...

I just got both of these recently! I'm so glad to hear they're good! Thanks!

XOXO~ Renee

Melanie Dickerson said...

You have good taste, Renee! Or at least similar taste to mine. :-)

Renee (SteelerGirl83) said...

Hahaha yes we *both* have great taste! :-P

XOXO~ Renee

Kav said...

I think Beauty was one of the first fairy tale retellings I read and I've read it several times. But whooohoooo! -- you've introduced me to a new book in Princess of the Midnight Ball! I'll definitely check that one out while i impatiently wait for yours to cross the border. LOL!

Kav said...

Guess what????? It's in!!! Healer's Apprentice has finally arrived in Canada!!!!!!! Well, my part of Canada anyway! Hoorah! I get to pick it up tomorrow! Yiiiipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh, YAYYY!!!!!!! I'm so excited, Kav! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :-) :-) :-)

Kav said...

I'm reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it and I've had a profound thought on page 33. Can't wait to see if I'm right!!!! It's so well-written, Melanie. Has a fairy-tale quality about it and the descriptions -- oh my, I can see everything! I can see why it's getting rave reviews.

Melanie Dickerson said...

I'm so glad you like it, Kav! Keep me updated! :-)
And I'm going to be discussing the book with readers starting the 20th of this month on the ACFW Book Club, if you want to join. It's a Yahoo group, and it's lots of fun! I'll post something about it on my blog in the next few days!

KT said...

Great list. I can't wait to read them. When you get closer to the holidays try out Principle Destiny by David A. Cleinman, its a cute read.