Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Publisher's Weekly Reviews The Healer's Apprentice!

Publisher's Weekly reviewed The Healer's Apprentice! Here's their review:
"Alternating between the two protagonists' viewpoints, the plot unfolds at a satisfying clip with zesty supporting characters (the healer, the duke's younger son), which add intrigue. A light-handed Christian subtext weaves seamlessly through the novel: illness, injury, and malevolence are all combated 'in the name of Jesus.' Dickerson combines fairy tale ambiance (an unkind stepmother, a rat-filled dungeon, a caricature of a bad guy) with historical touches like herbal remedies, musical instruments, and architectural details to create a colorful and convincing atmosphere in this strong debut."

Pretty awesome, isn't it? Just the fact that they reviewed it all is an honor, and to get a positive review like this really makes my day ... no, my week!

8 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations on such a glowing review--and from PW no less!!! I can see why you're thrilled.

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thanks, Keli!!!

Kav said...

Whoohooo! That's so fantastic, Melanie. That and the Kirkus Review is going to sell your books in public and school libraries for sure!

Guess what? I just finished reading A Healer's Apprentice on the busride home tonight. Sheer rapture! You're brilliant Melanie!!!!!

Hayden said...

I loved the book! I wrote a review on it, too, at my blog: everystory-storygirl.blogspot.com Keep Writing!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Oh, Kav!!! Bless you, bless you, bless you! I'm SO GLAD you liked it! :-)

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thank you so much for the awesome review, Hayden!!! I just went and checked it out! Great blog, too!

Kathleen L. Maher said...

So exciting, Melanie! Oh, and I finally saw your gorgeous book trailer. What a work of art. congratulations!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Thanks, Kathy! They really did a great job with that trailer, didn't they? I love how it looks like a real castle!